Check out these Manchester museums, for free

To celebrate Smithsonian Magazine’s National Museum Day, eight of Manchester’s museums and cultural attractions will open their doors to visitors at no charge on Saturday, Sept. 29. Participating museums will offer special activities and free admission from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Stop at any of the sites and pick up a map showing locations and listing events and activities. Participating museums are: Amoskeag Fishways, the Aviation Museum of New Hampshire, Currier Downtown, the Franco-American Centre, the Lawrence L. Lee Scouting Museum, the Manchester Historic Association Research Center, the Millyard Museum and the SEE Science Center.

Special activities for Museum Day include a number of fishy crafts for the kids to make and take home at Amoskeag Fishways. Special focus will be on urban birds- both local and migratory.

The SEE Science Center has a representation of Manchester's Millyard circa 1900 built entirely of LEGO bricks. In the same building, visitors to the Millyard Museum can see the temporary exhibit “Cabinet of Curiosities” Also, at 10:30 a.m. & 2:00 p.m., free walking tours of the Amoskeag Millyard will start at the Millyard Museum. Each 1 1/2 hour tour will include the LEGO model of the Millyard at the SEE Science Center.

The Scouting Museum will be sponsoring the New England Trade-o-ree until 2:00, an event where collectors from throughout the region trade and sell Boy Scout memorabilia.

The Franco-American Centre is featuring “Dark Room Magic/Chambre Noire,” an exhibit of works from Irene E. DuPont, in the Beliveau Art Gallery. The exhibit presents unique photogram images. The photogram process is similar to photography and was first used in 1727 by J.H. Schulze.

The Currier Museum of Art’s Currier Downtown will offer family art activities and free tours of the Frank Lloyd Wright-designed Zimmerman House at 11:00, 12:30, 2:00, and 3:30. (Tours are first-come, first serve and depart from Currier Downtown.)

Last but not least, visitors to the Manchester Historic Association’s Research Center on Amherst Street can see the newly renovated building and expanded reading room.